Full-time, Remote, Exempt
How to apply
To apply or nominate a candidate, please send a resume and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Associate” in the subject line. This position is open until filled, with an initial application deadline of October 18, 2021. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately and will be conducted throughout the search period.
About Rewiring America
Rewiring America is a growing nonprofit working to launch a movement that electrifies everything, starting with our 121 million households. We are motivated by the fact that 90 percent of all emissions in the U.S. are energy related and 42 percent of those energy emissions come from the decisions we make in our homes: how we heat our air and water, cook our food, and dry our clothes, and what kind of cars we drive. Through accurate, accessible, and actionable data and storytelling tools that power smart, inclusive advocacy and market-transforming partnerships, Rewiring America aims to achieve national emissions goals, improve our health, lower monthly bills, and create millions of clean energy jobs. Our firm belief is that the electrification of the economy -- starting with understanding the American household as the keystone of our infrastructure -- is the most equity-centered way to address the climate crisis. We are focused on transforming the market, with the urgency required to meet the moment we are in and to take advantage of the vast opportunity in front of us.
The Opportunity and Position Summary
With a clear vision, smart strategies, and significant and sustained financial support, Rewiring America is growing rapidly. As a newly-created position, the Research Associate is principally responsible for executing on Rewiring America’s research projects with diligence and expediency. This role reports to the Research Operations Program Manager.
What You’ll Do
Conduct groundbreaking research
- Build mathematical models of electrification scenarios, including calculations of energy, emissions, finance, jobs, and other key impacts.
- Write technical reports and documentation summarizing findings and methods.
- Prepare graphs and other data visualizations.
- Develop perspective and recommendations on follow-on and incremental work based on existing Rewiring America research portfolio and priorities.
Support policy and program development
- Run quick-turn analyses in response to rapid policy development processes and communicate the results in written and verbal form.
- Distill technical issues around electrification into intuitive and persuasive content.
Build data pipelines
- Collect and clean data from federal, state, and local databases, from partner organizations, and from volunteers. Automate where possible.
- Evaluate data quality and cross check with existing sources.
- Document data provenance and modeling assumptions.
Who You Are
As a Rewiring America Research Associate, you will be driven by a belief in and commitment to our values, vision, and mission.
We hope to see a track record demonstrating humility, curiosity, energy, and a learner’s mindset. We hope you have elected to explore domains adjacent to your expertise, and have experience studying both the forest and the trees. You must be able to write clearly and persuasively, and care about the dissemination of your work, as evidenced by a public portfolio, paper trail, or thoughtful tweets. We are looking for a highly organized and driven individual, someone who recognizes that the stakes of what we are trying to accomplish depend on a high-functioning, passionate, and trusting team.
As Research Associate, you would play a critical role in Rewiring America as it evolves from its start-up phase into a scaling organization, joining a fast-paced team that operates with a sense of urgency. In a short time, we have established ourselves as a trusted, inspiring voice in the decarbonization space and begun making tangible headway towards our climate goals. In this role you would continue driving this progress, by conducting groundbreaking research with self-discipline and excitement about applying quantitative methods to policy-oriented storytelling.
We are looking for the following Core and Preferred qualifications:
- Commitment to the mission, policies, and goals of Rewiring America.
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills, including expertise with relevant tools (Excel/Google Sheets, Python, Pandas, Numpy/Scipy, etc.).
- Excellent written ability across multiple formats (e.g., memos, reports and presentations) with an understanding of the needs of the intended audience and ability to deliver clearly communicated information.
- Ability to synthesize findings, distill key findings, and identify meaningful insights.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree.
- Ability to manage independent research projects (with portfolio to prove it).
- Graphic design skills (self-taught is fine), including relevant tools (e.g., Adobe Suite)
- Domain knowledge in climate, renewable energy, and/or building electrification.
- Background in statistics and/or machine learning.
Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Rewiring America values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewiring America is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
The salary range for this position is $90,000-$120,000 commensurate with experience. Rewiring America also offers a very generous and competitive benefits package, including health coverage, retirement benefits, paid vacation, sick time and holidays and access to professional development resources.