Head of Policy
Full-time; Washington, DC or Remote
How to apply
To apply or nominate a candidate, please send a resume, cover letter and one brief, policy-oriented original writing sample to Cathy Schreiber, Search Consultant at email@example.com with “Head of Policy search” in the subject line. Submission in a combined PDF or Microsoft Word file is preferred. This position is open until filled, with an initial application deadline of 5PM PDT on Friday, September 3, 2021. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately and will be conducted throughout the search period.
About Rewiring America
Rewiring America is a growing nonprofit working to launch a movement that electrifies everything, starting with our 121 million households. We are motivated by the fact that 90 percent of all emissions in the U.S. are energy related and 42 percent of those energy emissions come from the decisions we make in our homes: how we heat our air and water, cook our food, and dry our clothes, and what kind of cars we drive. Through accurate, accessible, and actionable data and storytelling tools that power smart, inclusive advocacy and market-transforming partnerships, Rewiring America aims to achieve national emissions goals, improve our health, lower monthly bills, and create millions of clean energy jobs. Our firm belief is that the electrification of the economy -- starting with understanding the American household as the keystone of our infrastructure -- is the most equity-centered way to address the climate crisis. We are focused on transforming the market, with the urgency required to meet the moment we are in and to take advantage of the vast opportunity in front of us.
The Opportunity and Position Summary
Rewiring America is growing rapidly. With a clear and inspiring vision, smart strategies, and significant and sustained financial support, we are growing our team and seeking an entrepreneurial Head of Policy to join our Leadership Team. This position reports to the organization’s CEO.
In this newly created position, the Head of Policy will drive the development and implementation of the organization’s federal and sub-national policy and regulatory agendas, including working in coalition with partner organizations around the country to seize national and local opportunities and to build a groundswell of consumer awareness and community support. The role requires the ability to integrate a deep understanding of the market with a creative, solutions-first, equity-centered policy approach. The Head of Policy will also manage the drafting of materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media to advance our campaigns (e.g., opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails, factsheets, bill summaries and policy briefs, regulatory comments, analyses, and presentations).
This is a public-facing and high profile role for a proven leader who has a solid track record of setting and driving bold and inspiring change through policy action. In doing the work, the Head of Policy will further establish Rewiring America as a national policy leader and a go-to resource for policymakers, policy influencers, and climate advocates.
What You’ll do
Strategy Development & Implementation
- Develop and drive our federal policy agenda, iterating as we identify and leverage key pressure points and ensuring that our priorities are equity-centered and delivering for families and communities with the most to gain from electrification.
- Identify policy opportunities related to our issues, leading the development of Rewiring America’s policy positions and messaging.
- Develop deep, strong, and collaborative relationships with federal agencies, partner organizations, coalitions, legislators, congressional staff on both sides of the aisle, and other stakeholders to advance shared goals.
- Develop our state and local policy agenda, identifying the most promising opportunities to advance our work and build momentum for national scale.
- Draft materials for lawmakers, the public, and the media to help advance our campaigns, including opinion editorials, press releases, letters to the editor, action campaign emails, factsheets, bill summaries and policy briefs, regulatory comments, analyses, and presentations.
- Work closely with Rewiring America’s policy advisors, leveraging their expertise and networks and further building out this group as a way of advancing our objectives.
- Convene coalition partners to refine our approach and ensure strong cohesion of message and collective action.
- Build new organizational relationships and alliances that reflect the importance of equity, diversity, and environmental and economic justice.
- Identify new partners with aligned efforts to accelerate action and leverage resources, relationships, and research.
Organizational and Team Management
- Serve as a member of the Leadership Team with responsibility for the success of Rewiring’s overall strategy, financial strength, and inclusive organizational culture.
- Determine and manage the policy budget, ensuring cost effectiveness and accurate reporting to funders.
- Support overall fundraising efforts related to the policy agenda and priorities.
- Build and manage a policy staff and consultant corps as appropriate, including establishing annual objectives (to support overall goals established in the policy agenda), provide regular feedback and appropriate recognition, conduct annual performance reviews, and support ongoing professional development.
- Develop dashboards to track progress and benchmarks against the policy agenda and proactively produce reports and analyses of campaigns to inform strategies and improve results.
- Routinely report to advisors and committees on policy activities, campaigns and events, providing quantitative and qualitative analyses to support their oversight and engagement.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and lobbying requirements, as appropriate.
Who You Are
The incoming Head of Policy will be driven by a belief in, and commitment to, Rewiring America’s vision and mission. Through their track record and expertise as a policy innovator, and as a proven coalition- and team-builder, the successful candidate will develop and drive federal and sub-national policy agendas that generate policy wins to support Rewiring’s market transformation and community movement building efforts. The Head of Policy builds authentic and lasting relationships with policymakers, regulators, and coalition members, listening to their interests and goals and engaging with them as partners in Rewiring’s mission and broader vision. They are creative and solution-seeking in policy design and politically savvy and experienced, with the practicality and know-how to get wins on the board quickly in order to build momentum and scale.
The successful Head of Policy joins a fast-paced team that operates with a sense of urgency and a track record of success in science, technology, business, policy, and politics. The Head of Policy is entrepreneurial and has the experience of growing/scaling a successful policy shop. Rewiring America has the opportunity to take its policy agenda to the next level and seeks a leader with ambition, determination, and the ability to instill confidence, trust, and inspiration.
This role requires an ethos of collegiality, strong collaboration skills, and the ability to manage through influence in a matrixed team. Despite the enormity of the challenges that lie ahead, Rewiring America’s leadership understands how to celebrate successes and seeks a Head of Policy who leads with positivity and a belief in what is possible. The successful candidate demonstrates a zeal for policy, coalition building, and climate justice and models excellence and integrity in all they do. The selected candidate will also possess the following Core and Preferred qualifications:
- Strong commitment to the mission, policies and goals of Rewiring America.
- At least 10 years of increasing responsibility in policy, with a proven track record of policy accomplishments and driving change in the climate space.
- Experience in drafting federal or state climate policy or regulations, building and leading winning campaigns and teams.
- Proven leadership skills with clarity of vision and a commitment to the highest levels of integrity, quality and collaboration.
- Mastery of relationship-building skills with a wide range of diverse external constituencies, from elected officials and staff, public agencies and government regulators to manufacturers, labor unions, community-based organizations, technology start-ups and philanthropic institutions.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills that demonstrate an ability to:
- Convey a compelling story about Rewiring’s mission and impact;
- Translate complex data and analysis into persuasive narratives;
- Communicate Rewiring’s strategies with accessible expertise (without jargon).
- Deep understanding of market, climate and consumer-related data, with the ability to integrate all into policy design and action.
- Ability to manage a small and growing team with competing demands; not easily flustered nor easily overwhelmed by a high volume of activity and projects.
- Sets and achieves high-performance expectations that are motivating and results-oriented.
- Seeks out and delivers timely and direct feedback that contributes to the ongoing development of oneself, team members and a positive organizational culture.
- Promptly resolves problems through timely consultation in an environment of mutual respect.
- Highly collaborative work style with the ability to operate as a peer and thought partner to the Chief Executive Officer, other Leadership Team members and advisors.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree, particularly in policy, law or climate science.
- Experience in infrastructure or financing.
- Recent legislative or executive branch leadership experience (at the federal or state level).
- Entrepreneurial drive to build an organization from the ground up; prior start-up experience is optimal.
- Content knowledge in building electrification and renewable energy.
Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Rewiring America values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewiring America is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
The salary range for this position is $175,000- $225,000, commensurate with experience. Rewiring America also offers a very generous and competitive benefits package, including health coverage, retirement benefits, paid vacation, sick time, and holidays and access to professional development resources. This position is located in Washington, DC or remote.