Chief of Staff
Full time; Remote; Exempt
How to apply
To apply or nominate a candidate, please send a resume, cover letter and one brief, original writing sample to Cathy Schreiber, Search Consultant at email@example.com with “Chief of Staff search ” in the subject line. Submission in a combined PDF or Microsoft Word file is preferred. This position is open until filled, with an initial application deadline of 5PM PDT on Friday, September 24, 2021. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately and will be conducted throughout the search period.
About Rewiring America
Rewiring America is a growing nonprofit working to launch a movement that electrifies everything, starting with our 121 million households. We are motivated by the fact that 90 percent of all emissions in the U.S. are energy related and 42 percent of those energy emissions come from the decisions we make in our homes: how we heat our air and water, cook our food, and dry our clothes, and what kind of cars we drive. Through accurate, accessible, and actionable data and storytelling tools that power smart, inclusive advocacy and market-transforming partnerships, Rewiring America aims to achieve national emissions goals, improve our health, lower monthly bills, and create millions of clean energy jobs. Our firm belief is that the electrification of the economy -- starting with understanding the American household as the keystone of our infrastructure -- is the most equity-centered way to address the climate crisis. We are focused on transforming the market, with the urgency required to meet the moment we are in and to take advantage of the vast opportunity in front of us.
The Opportunity and Position Summary
Rewiring America is growing rapidly. With a clear and inspiring vision, smart strategies, and significant and sustained financial support, we are growing our team and seeking an entrepreneurial Chief of Staff to join our Leadership Team. This position reports to the organization’s CEO.
In this newly-created position, the Chief of Staff is principally responsible for translating the organization’s values, vision, and mission into concrete objectives and key results that are adequately resourced and staffed. The Chief of Staff will also oversee the pace, sequencing, and execution of strategic plans for Rewiring America's national growth and scale.
The Chief of Staff is an emotionally intelligent, cross-functional leader, holding both significant functional authority and responsibility and whose success is ultimately dependent on facilitative, collaborative, and horizontal leadership with executive team colleagues. The Chief of Staff also serves in various leadership capacities as the organization expands, standing up and scaling key functions. The Chief of Staff must have an incisive strategic mindset, an ambitious and mission-focused orientation, and a relentless commitment to excellence and results in all facets of the organization.
The Chief of Staff plays a linchpin role in shaping our organizational culture, ensuring that the organization’s ethos is rooted in joy and grounded in equity, inclusion, and diversity of background and perspective.
What You’ll do
Translating Strategy into Action and Impact
- Translate the organizational values, vision, and mission into an ambitious and inspiring 10-year strategic plan.
- From the defined strategic plan, lead the development of the organization-wide roadmaps, operating plans, and dashboards, defining clear, actionable, and time-bound objectives, outcomes, and annual benchmarks for each department.
- Lead ongoing and annual evaluation and learning to refine operating plans and provide quantitative and qualitative data in reporting to funders and advisors.
- Set the standard for bridge-building across departments to ensure that organizational priorities are leveraged and synergistic.
- Act as the sentry and develop systems to identify opportunities to accelerate our efforts, close necessary gaps, and course correct if we are falling short of our stated objectives and ambitions.
- Continuously refine Rewiring America’s organizational design and structure with a focus on excellence in execution, learning, and impact.
- Support the CEO and executive team in the annual budgeting process, ensuring the alignment of resources to the organization’s near-, medium- and long-term objectives.
Organizational Culture Building
- Oversee Rewiring America’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, integrating best-in-class practices into recruitment, hiring, team building, culture setting, and professional development/advancement, while centering equity in all of our programs and operations.
- Oversee and lead the building of an organizational culture that is values- and purpose-driven, team-centered, inclusive, results-oriented, and joyful, rewarding performance, productivity, positivity, and all-around collegiality.
- Oversee and develop an inspired and distinctive approach to all internal communications, all-hands meetings, and organizational culture building opportunities for a nationally distributed team.
Organizational Growth / Scale
- Oversee the pace, sequencing, and execution of strategic plans for Rewiring America's national growth and scale.
- Create leverage and scale in Rewiring America’s operations in order to accelerate the realization of our mission, vision, and objectives.
- Build and oversee the people function at Rewiring America, ensuring consistency, excellence, and the projection of organizational values in recruitment, hiring, onboarding, compensation, professional development and management practices, and employee goal setting, centering equity in all internal policies and practices.
- Serve as an entrepreneur-in-residence, putting together the necessary teams and resources to spin up new organizational functions and initiatives.
Special Projects & Partnerships
- Identify high-leverage growth and positioning opportunities for Rewiring America, including but not limited to partnership opportunities with other organizations in the building decarbonization/electrification ecosystem.
- Stay apprised of the evolving building decarbonization/electrification ecosystem, participating in network-building and learning opportunities, while lifting up shifts in the landscape that may impact Rewiring America’s positioning.
- Oversee initial research into and strategic development of new areas for potential organizational growth and impact such as programmatic expansion and partnerships.
- Lead cross-functional leadership processes to evaluate and pursue specific strategic and corporate development opportunities, ensuring a solid and consistent vetting process that aligns to Rewiring’s values, vision, and mission.
Who You Are
The incoming Chief of Staff will be driven by their belief in and commitment to Rewiring America’s values, vision, and mission. Through their track record as a cross-functional leader and interdisciplinary process design expert with experience scaling organizations, the successful candidate embraces the dynamism of doing big things and demonstrates humility, curiosity, and a learner’s mindset in all that they do. We are looking for a builder and a partner in this role, someone who recognizes that the stakes of what we are trying to accomplish depend on a high-functioning, passionate, and trusting team. The Chief of Staff is the organizational glue who quickly and authentically builds rapport with people from diverse backgrounds, connects the dots internally and externally, and operationalizes values and vision for maximum impact.
The Chief of Staff plays a critical role in the evolution of Rewiring America from its start-up phase to a more mature organization and joins a fast-paced team that operates with a sense of urgency and a track record of success in science, technology, business, policy, and politics. The Chief of Staff must be entrepreneurial and have the experience of growing/scaling a successful organization and/or coalition of organizations. Rewiring America has the opportunity to take our work to the next level and seeks a leader with ambition, determination, and the ability to instill confidence, trust, and inspiration.
This role requires an ethos of collegiality, strong collaboration skills, and the ability to manage through influence in a matrixed team. Despite the enormity of the challenges that lie ahead, Rewiring America’s leadership understands how to celebrate successes and seeks a Chief of Staff who leads with positivity and a belief in what is possible. The successful candidate demonstrates a zeal for organization building and climate justice and models excellence and integrity in all they do. The selected candidate will also possess the following Core and Preferred qualifications:
- Strong commitment to the mission, policies and goals of Rewiring America.
- At least 10 years of increasing responsibility in organizational leadership, with a proven track record of accomplishments and subject matter expertise in the climate space.
- Proven leadership skills with clarity of vision and a commitment to the highest levels of integrity, quality, and collaboration.
- Experience designing and executing equity-centered, inclusive processes and products that generate a strong and cohesive organizational culture, actionable operating plans, and dynamic tools for continual evaluation and iteration.
- Experience scaling an organization, company, or agency from start-up phase.
- Outstanding people and project management abilities to ensure that Rewiring America works in a highly collaborative, cross-functional, and synergistic manner.
- Mastery of relationship-building skills with a wide range of diverse internal and external constituencies.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage a small and growing team with competing demands; not easily flustered nor easily overwhelmed by and able to execute on a high volume of activity and projects, with speed, excellence and humor.
- Sets and achieves high-performance expectations that are motivating and results-oriented.
- Seeks out and delivers timely and direct feedback that contributes to the ongoing development of oneself, team members, and a positive organizational culture.
- Promptly resolves problems through timely consultation in an environment of mutual respect.
- Highly collaborative work style with the ability to operate as a peer and thought partner to the CEO, other Leadership Team members, and advisors.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree.
- Background in product development, operations, impact evaluation/learning, people management, or leadership development.
- Entrepreneurial drive to build an organization from the ground up; prior start-up experience is optimal.
- Content knowledge in climate, renewable energy, and/or building electrification.
Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Rewiring America values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewiring America is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
The salary range for this position is $175,000 - $225,000, commensurate with experience. Rewiring America also offers a very generous and competitive benefits package, including health coverage, retirement benefits, paid vacation, sick time and holidays and access to professional development resources.